Sunday, 8 February 2009

Silent Grace
























For some time now I've been very interested in the artist Lee Bogle. http://www.leebogle.com/biography.htm
You see his work reproduced every where and he uses some interesting methods to achieve his beautiful paintings. Starting with a bold watercolour wash, he uses combinations of media such as pastel, coloured pencil and air brush, basically whatever it takes to build some wonderfully atmospheric images. He also paints a lot on bark paper which looks wonderful and is something I may try out in the future. I don't have all of the skills and resources that he has, but I've been working in a similar style for a while now and this is my latest (and I think my best so far) attempt. It measures 14 x 17 inches.

For the first time I've painted on Stonehenge paper (I have quite a bit in stock after getting a big pack for my 'Larger Than Life' drawing). This paper has very little texture. Although very sturdy, it's quite absorbent and after the paint dries you are left with a lovely velvety surface. So the watercolour effects I've used for the background merge and dissolve into one another beautifully, a bit different to my normal heavily textured watercolour paper.
So I started with the large wet wash of the background. Sometimes I use scrunched up clingfilm to create patterns, this time I just used a few salt crystals then left it to dry. I then did an underpainting of the main portrait in watercolour before going in with my prismacolor pencils to get a more photorealistic effect. Then a little gouache on top to finish the highlights.

I'm really pleased with the colour combinations here and as you can see I like it so much I've used it for my new logo.







No comments: