Sunday, 8 March 2009

Where Spirits Dwell





Having had quite a few sales of original Native American scenes in the last couple of weeks, I'm a bit low on available paintings of this genre. So I'll be working on new ones for a while. There are quite a few artists whose work inspires me, one of whom is Howard Terpning. Making his name creating movie posters for blockbusters such as Dr. Zhivago before concentrating on Western artwork, his oil paintings can now sell for hundreds of thousands of pounds. What I love about them is the way they tell a story, tempting the viewer to wonder what went before and what came after. His use of light effects is unsurpassed in my opinion. So this painting aims to capture a tiny bit of his style, even though done using my usual medium of watercolour. It's 16 x 22 inches. I'm particularly pleased with the textures and subtle colouring of the rocks and the water.


No comments: