Wednesday, 2 September 2009

Upwind

Well, here's what I've been working on this week. It's a 16 x 11 inch pencilwork on Bristol board. I used several reference photographs of lions to get the features right, then added all of the backround and the wind. There is probably more of a mane than would normally be seen on a lion, but I wanted a dramatic effect, making use of the wind and the dark sky. I used my stylo more than usual for the hair and spent a lot of time getting the texture right.

I don't remember where I got my stylo from, it's just one of those things that has always been in my pencil box which I use all the time and consists of a wooden handle with a needle point sticking out at each end, one thicker than the other, and each smoothly rounded off at the tip. With this I indent the paper or board using various amounts of pressure to creat hairs and whiskers. These indentations show up once graphite is lightly laid down over the top and the fur or hair comes to life with a little work with my pencils and deft use of the putty rubber. I think this fellow looks great now it's mounted and framed up.

1 comment:

Tina Ashton said...

Superb Peter once again. Tina