Saturday, 10 October 2009

Around Aldeburgh

I've been out and about with my camera this week, hoping to get some good reference pictures for some local scenes I'm planning to do over the coming weeks.This boat, I've already incorporated into several paintings. It's the texture and colours of the peeling, rotting paintwork which attracts me.

This one is a more modern fishing boat, and no rusty old winch for this guy!

This is Maggie Hamblings contoversially positioned sculpture which bears the inscription 'I hear those voices that will not be drowned' , a line from Benjamin Britten's opera Peter Grimes. People around here have very mixed views about it and it regularly gets vandalised. Murphy appreciates it though, there isn't a decent tree around for miles! I really like the sculpture but would have preferred to see it on the beach actually in the town. I prefer the open spaces outside town to remain as natural and unspoilt as possible.
Here Murphy is inspecting the famous bronze sculpture of 'Snooks' who belonged to a local doctor and his wife. They commissioned this piece in memory of him. The original was stolen several years ago but was replaced by the local people.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Great to see the area which gives you inspiration.
Its a treat to look at your paintings - and I think Murphy's a cracker!