Friday, 27 November 2009

Elusive Nature

This week I've been working on this snow leopard, based on a reference photograph from the WetCanvas reference library by Cathy Sheeter . Starting with a loose watercolour background on Stonehenge paper, I completed the snow leopard with my prismacolor coloured pencils. At 21 x 16 inches, this is quite a large piece and took a lot of hard work, layering, burnishing, detailing over and over again. I read somewhere that if your arm isn't aching when using coloured pencils, then you're not doing it right. I must have done it right then because my arm is killing me!
For some reason I can't get a decent scan of this painting, the detailed image below is a more accurate representation of the colours.

2 comments:

Vicki Greene said...

Hope your arm is feeling better but this one is well worth the pain. This is really beautiful!

Cathy Sheeter said...

lovely!