Monday, 12 July 2010

A Day at the Crown in Ufford

On Sunday I spent a very pleasant day at the lovely 17th century Inn called The Crown at Ufford. It was another roasting hot day so was quite a relief to spend most of my time in the bar chillin', chatting to visitors and of course having my fair share of Adnams Ale.

I had a pretty decent sample of my work on show in a small room leading off the main bar and restaurant where I was able to display about 20 framed pictures as well as my two print browsers containing about fifty or so unframed prints.  Difficult to photograph in such a confined space but on the whole I was pleased with how it looked.



 
The Crown has only recently re-opened under new ownership and landlady Kelly with husband Shaun are working hard to rebuild the business and attract clientele, so they will be inviting more arts and crafts people in throughout the year. Footfall was a lot less than expected, the fact that it was World Cup final day and also the British Grand Prix taking place must have had an affect. However I was pleased to meet a lot of good people, particularly the numerous bikers who came in, most of whom were quite interested in my North American Western style paintings. I made a few sales which made it worth my while but of course the main benefit is the extra exposure locally. Just being more proactive this year, getting out and meeting people rather than relying so much on the internet is proving to be a real boost to my confidence and giving me a realistic idea of where I fit in to the art world in general.
This magnificent machine 'The Spirit of '76' arrived early on. It's given me an idea for a new painting, watch this space!

I'll be going back in a few weeks to hang a few paintings throughout the premises for permanent display and hopefully put on another little exhibition later in the year.

Next outing is next weekend at the Stowmarket Carnival where I expect to be very busy before it's all hands to the pumps to get ready for my solo exhibition in Aldeburgh starting on the 23rd July.

1 comment:

Angela Samson said...

Hi Peter,

I must keep a closer eye on your blog cos I missed the Ufford exhibition. I hope to get to Aldeburgh for your solo but as you know parking in Aldeburgh is horrendous at this time of year. What was the food like at The Crown?