Friday, 31 December 2010

The Master Of All He Surveys

This is a large mixed media piece completed over the last 3 days. I used graphite pencils, Graphitint pencils, coloured pencils and watercolours on a full A2 sheet of 140lb NOT watercolour paper. I based the Hornbill on a reference photograph from the Paint My Photo website, taken when he was scrounging food at a picnic area in the Kruger National Park. For my painting I decided to put him in a more naturalistic setting.

I haven't used my Graphitint pencils for quite a while, I find them tricky to use but thought this bird might be ideal for the limited selection of colours I have, so decided to give them another outing. I think the mixture of media works well with the bird not being very colourful, the different texture and effect of the pencils helps him stand out a bit from the watercolour, which I've kept quite loose.

4 comments:

sue said...

It works beautifully ...I love the autumnal feel your limited palette has achieved.

If I only make one resolution this year it must be to get more involved with Paint my Photo I think :o)

Hope you enjoy the New Years Eve celebrations and look forward to seeing more of your work in 2011

Peter Williams said...

Thanks Sue and the same to you.

Andrea Farmer said...

Wow! Again, I am in awe.

Happy New Year Pete! :0)

Carolann said...

I like what you've done with this, the technique of the pencils work very well.