Thursday, 27 January 2011

Twister

Well, this week (and last) I have mainly been suffering with Shingles which, for those who have yet to experience it's delights, is rather nasty and painful. In my case (this is the second time I've had it) it is the nerves in my face around and above the eyes which are affected. Therefore I haven't been up to doing any long sessions in the studio, feeling the need to give my eyes a chance to rest. However I have been able to work in short bursts and finally completed this fairly large drawing today. It's 17 x 24 inches pencil on Stonehenge paper.

I feel fortunate and privileged to have been given permission by top wildlife photographer Billy Dodson of Savannah Images to use some of his photographs as reference for my art. The male lion in this piece is based on one of his, the rest of the picture comes from elsewhere, mostly my imagination. I liked the sense of movement in the photograph of the male lion but needed something for him to be turning toward. I do like whenever possible to portray some sort of a story in my pictures, giving the viewer a chance to use their own imagination a little. So I came up with the idea of a large Dust Devil on the plain. Then I decided to put the lioness and cub in too which I think completes the scene nicely.

No comments: