Sunday, 13 February 2011

GoldenEye

I've been experimenting to try and find the best paper for me to use for coloured pencil. I've tried loads from mountboard to cartridge paper and many more in between. This is very rough Daler Rowney 140lb NOT watercolour paper (Langton) but probably not the best I've used for coloured pencil, slightly too much texture.

I'm going to stick to the W&N 140lb NOT paper in future which has a rough and a smoother side, the smooth side seems about right for me, having enough tooth but not too much texture.

Taking about 10 hours in total, I used Prismacolor pencils for this and added a watercolour background sky effect. It measures 15.5 x 6 inches and I based it on a reference photo from the Paint My Photo reference library.

3 comments:

sue said...

Lovely vibrant drawing Peter - such a handsome bird.

I'm hooked on Clairefontaine Pastelmat for cps work at the moment using Zest-It solvent to dissolve the pigment which speeds up cp work no end! Second Fave is Fabriano Artistico HP.

Peter Williams said...

Thanks for that Sue. I haven't tried solvent yet, must gey some and give it a go.

Mika said...

Very powerfull !! I always admire the eagle.. and this painting is very well done :)