Wednesday, 23 March 2011

David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation Artist Of The Year

Wahey! Just heard that my drawing 'Desperado' has been shortlisted for the DSWF wildlife artist of the year 2011 exhibition at the Mall Gallery, London. I created this one last Summer and thought it might be a good one to enter this year if I still had it. I think the judges tend to go for a dramatic composition or viewpoint, something that catches the eye a bit more than the standard portrait, so this slightly unusual angle fits the bill. At 21 x 24.5 inches (framed) it's quite large and makes quite a nice impact on a regular sized wall. Hopefully it won't look lost on the large Mall Gallery walls.

It's a Grey Wolf but there is quite a bit of my GSD Murphy in this, if it does well I'll get him a big bone.

Last year I had a watercolour accepted but was determined to get a pencil work in this year, so submitted 3. The others were 'Walk The Walk' and 'A Ripple in Bright Water'



Personally, I thought the tiger stood a better chance of getting in but there you go, mustn't grumble.

So I'll be making several trips to London in the Summer then. My last 2 trips for last years exhibition were blogged here and here. Something to look forward to again, wish me luck.


2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Congratulations Peter, fingers crossed for the title!!

Julia Ruffles | wildlife animal artist said...

Very well done indeed Peter - I would have chose all three, I am a huge fan of your work pencil and watercolour, I love reading your blog and viewing your works :) Jules