Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Razorbill's Rock

My latest watercolour here from another reference photograph at the Paint My Photo website. This is about 14 x 21 inches on Arches Aquarel paper. This is the first time I've used Arches paper, I got on with it OK and I think I'll stick with it for a while (particularly as I just got a job lot of it!) Razorbills aren't particularly colourful birds but I love the pristine look to them they have, and I've tried to bring out the browns and cobalt blues in the dark feathers. Not wanting to overdo the rocks for fear of losing the birds, I've compensated for the lack of dramatic colour by adding quite a bit to the sky instead and for extra movement I've put in a few distant seagulls wheeling in the wind.


I painted this to compliment my Puffin and Cormorant paintings, they make quite a nice set now although in retrospect I could have had some looking the other way!.

No comments: