Friday, 9 December 2011

Streets Of London

After completing my 'Parisienne Walkway' watercolour, I have decided to continue with the theme and started work today on 'The Streets Of London'.

 
Some of my longer-term friends might remember this one from several years ago, it was created in graphite pencil and I think the reference I used was a small part of a large scene. The photograph is long gone, can't remember where it was from. I do remember that, after the pencil drawing was completed I tried to add some colour using Graphitint pencils which was a complete failure and I messed it up totally. Not sure where it ended up, somebody bought it I think but it did turn into a disappointment.



I always liked the figure though, quite poignant I think. So for this painting I am using an image of my original drawing for reference and giving it another go in watercolour.
As you can see, I am keeping most of the colours quite muted but I will add a few light glazes of colour once he is done, to warm it up a bit. The spilled fruit will add some splashes of colour and I'm debating whether to add in a dog too, I'll decide tomorrow. Meanwhile, in case you've forgotten (or you're too young to remember) the song........



Have you seen the old man
In the closed-down market
Kicking up the paper,
with his worn out shoes?
In his eyes you see no pride
And held loosely at his side
Yesterday's paper telling yesterday's news

So how can you tell me you're lonely,
And say for you that the sun don't shine?
Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London
I'll show you something to make you change your mind

Have you seen the old girl
Who walks the streets of London
Dirt in her hair and her clothes in rags?
She's no time for talking,
She just keeps right on walking
Carrying her home in two carrier bags.

In the all night cafe
At a quarter past eleven,
Same old man is sitting there on his own
Looking at the world
Over the rim of his tea-cup,
Each tea last an hour
Then he wanders home alone

And have you seen the old man
Outside the seaman's mission
Memory fading with
The medal ribbons that he wears.
In our winter city,
The rain cries a little pity
For one more forgotten hero
And a world that doesn't care

There, I bet that has cheered you all up! Now all go out and chuck a few coins down for a homeless person. Interesting fact of the day....the song was originally called 'The Streets Of Paris' where Ralph used to busk in the 60's. He changed it later when he got a recording contract and released it in the UK.

1 comment:

Janet Pantry said...

Great image, Peter, and I can see how you would try Graphitints with it. Shame that didn't work out. You've made a great start with the painting, will watch your progress with interest. And ... yes, I love that Ralph McTell song too, very moving.