Saturday, 31 March 2012

Mischievous Soul


Here is what I've been working on over the last 2 or 3 days, persevering with my efforts on the Pastelmat. I'm gradually working larger, although this one is still only 12  x 9 inches. I used a reference photograph of this baby baboon by Billy Dodson, from Savannah Images for this one, although I have changed it around to suit me. I've also used 'Maize' coloured pastelmat.

My larger efforts have ended up in the bin so I'm taking it slowly as I teach myself and before I commit again to a full sized painting. I struggle a bit with the backgrounds where I use my soft pastels, but this one seemed to work OK. (my scan is not the best, in reality the blending is more refined but it's the best I can get)

I'm enjoying these though, and learning more with each painting.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Wow it is quite scary how quickly you have mastered pastels. I have been wanting to try them out for some time now, my attempts will probably have great trouble holding a candle to your baboon though:)