Wednesday, 20 June 2012

The Sycamore Spoon

Had a very enjoyable craft fair in Southwold over last week end. To pass the time Tom, my wood sculptoring friend, thought he would bring in a few tools and do a bit of a beginners class about the basics of wood carving. I of course was straight up for that.

The project was to be a spoon as it uses several different tools and techniques to complete. Below you can see my attempt at it. Perched on a saw horse and using several razor sharp tools it of course was not long before the blood began to flow.

However, after getting to grips with a draw knife, a bent knife and some small straight carving knives I found it really enjoyable to hack away at the log and soon began to feel quite competent. Below is my spoon after quite a bit of time, ready for a bit more delicate finishing.



 ....and below here you can see the finished item after much fine rubbing down and a bit of wax polish. I'm dead pleased with it actually. Little things please little minds etc.

So now I come to the point of my blog. I am keen to take up wood carving as a bit of a hobby. I already have a few chisels and things but need to find lots more wood carving tools. I'm not too keen on the new, plasticcy cheap and disposable things you find down at the local DIY shop. I like old things made to last back in the 30's, 40's and 50's. I'm sure, residing in drawers in sheds across the land, are hundreds of unused, unloved tools which once belonged to grand fathers and fathers but which now need bringing back to life in a good home. If any of my UK followers have such and would like to post them to me I'd really appreciate it (and of course repay any postage) I may even be able to pay a reasonable price if they are things I'm particularly looking for.

Things like chisels, planes, knives, sharpening stones, awls, anything you have really.

Thanks in advance.

3 comments:

sue said...

I gave my Grand-dad's tools away when we moved house (not enough storage space here) but hubby, David, thinks he still has some of his dad's tools in the shed (his dad was a joiner - didn't pass his skills onto his son though).

We're in the Canaries till the weekend so will check when home and let you know if we have anything useful.

Sounds like an interesting hobby. You might like to check this Blog
http://carvedcurves.blogspot.com

Aitch said...

I love your spoon and look forward to seeing more of your wooden items!

Anonymous said...

Hello there, There's no doubt that your blog might be having browser compatibility issues. When I take a look at your site in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in I.E., it's got some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Besides that, wonderful site!
Also see my site > how to make a wood shed