Friday, 27 July 2012

Diving Kingfisher Carving

Well, here is my second wood carving, made from a 'found' piece of horse chestnut wood. This one measures about 9 x 4 x 3 inches and has almost totally been carved using my knife. I've decided I will not use power tools at all for my carvings, just my knives and other vintage tools I have been accumulating. Firstly, because I want them to be natural and basic, something one might produce while out in the woods bonding with nature. Secondly, because I haven't got any and can't afford to go out and buy them!



 He's been finished, after copious rubbing down with fine sandpapers, with a couple of coats of natural wax. No varnish or anything. He has a lovely tactile surface now, very pleased with him I am.
Underneath there is a suggestion of legs but eventually my plan is to mount him onto the edge of a carved wooden bowl. I haven't started on that yet. I need to source a nice old piece of burr wood, or maybe even a root stump. Then I can leave some of the root pieces for him to be diving from, into the hollowed out bowl. Well, that's my vision anyway....we'll see how it ends up.

3 comments:

Ingrid Ormestad said...

My first thought was to say, "is there anything you're not good at" but then I thought of the determination, the drive and hopefully the pleasure you are getting from this. I know I would be totally engrossed in doing something like this, but I love wood. Pleased to see you waxed instead of varnished. "pleased with it" ... so you should be! :)

Sharon Whitley said...

Ingrid - that's exactly what I said when Peter did his otter carving - is there nothing you cannot do man?! Interested to know where this new interest has come from - the kingfisher is superb!

Peter Williams said...

Thank you ladies. It's something I've fancied having a go at for donkey's years but never got around to it. I have a good friend, Tom Jones (he's got a page on my website) who makes his living from wood carvings, sculpture and furniture. I love his work and he gave me a few pointers to get me started. I'm hooked now.