Friday, 11 January 2013

The Stripper

After a bit of a frustrating time of late, finally I found time to get out my paints again and to ease myself back into it I thought 'd go for something relatively simple. A still life. I've only done one before and usually find them a bit on the boring side.
I found a nice photograph on Wet Canvas of an old pot with apples which appealed to me, but wanted to add a little bit more interest. Therefore, using photoshop I added the peeled orange in the foreground which I found on Paint My Photo. This looked more interesting so I went ahead and painted it using my Daniel Smith watercolours.

The idea was to have the glamorous half-naked orange flaunting itself in front of an audience of apples and call it 'The Stripper'.

Once finished I was quite pleased with it but felt it needed something else. This gave me a chance to try out my pot of Daniel Smith Watercolour Ground which accompanied my set of paints recently received from my dear friend in Australia. I believe this is designed to be useful for painting out errors in watercolours as well as preparing different surfaces so that they can be painted on, such as board or canvas. What I did was to draw out the silhouette shape of my mouse and then paint it over using the ground. Once dried (overnight) I was able to paint my little mouse in.

Not sure if that was the best way to go about adding him in, but it worked OK.

1 comment:

Sue Clinker said...

Love it!
The 'making it up as you go along' style obviously suits you LOL