Sunday, 3 February 2013

A New Still Life WIP

I've been working on this watercolour today and yesterday. It's a poor quality photograph I'm afraid, taken at night under artificial lighting. I'll scan the completed painting properly when it's finished.

A few weeks (months?) ago I got a job lot of watercolour paper from a lady who it appears had more money than talent (or patience) and had given up painting in frustration. So I have a lot of paper I've never tried out before, although most is of good quality. I chose a sheet of Fabriano Artistico cotton rag paper for this painting....I don't think it was a very good choice as it's quite difficult for fine detailing, what with a sort of fine canvas weave pattern in the texture. The resulting effect is actually really nice but hard to achieve.

I'm using 2 photographs from Paint My Photo for reference, one for the Great Tit, the other for the rest. I'm still undecided whether to put in any background or not.... The ropes curvr right across the paper and below them is a wooden support which the saddle has been slung over. But I think I may have something above the ropes to help bring out the spurs a bit better. I also need a title. I'm sure something will come to me.

Still much to do....the ropes are going to be tedious but I'll get there in the end.

No comments: