Friday, 29 March 2013

Cigarettes and Whisky and Wild, Wild Women

Cigarettes and Whisky and Wild, Wild Women
16 x 12 inches watercolour on Arches Aquarelle paper
Well here is the completed painting. I've never painted smoke before, I was going to do it with pastel but eventually, with heart in mouth I decided to use white gouache instead. After so much detailed work I was very concerned that I might totally ruin the painting at the last hurdle. In actual fact, once I got started the smoke was quite fun to do. I used a rigger brush with a dilute mix of white gouache and used confident strokes using the side as well as the tip of the brush, plenty of water and then just picked out areas with a slightly stronger mix. I think it helps relate the objects to each other and introduces a bit of movement too.

No comments: