Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Desperadoes

Desperadoes 26 x 12 inches pencil on Stonehenge
click to enlarge
Desperado. Early 17th century: pseudo-Spanish alteration of the obsolete noun desperate. Both desperate and desperado originally denoted a person in despair or in a desperate situation, hence someone made reckless by despair

I think the above definition sums up the wolves plight fairly well. With their loss of habitat coupled with the over hunting of their natural prey, it's unsurprising that they are finding themselves in desperate situations as they are forced to prey on cattle and domestic animals to survive.  I shudder every time I read of another atrocity carried out by man on these magnificent wild creatures.

This drawing turned into a bit of an epic and, as I've not been at full capacity of late, has taken quite a while to complete but I'm happy with the result. I have a bit of framing to catch up on now, then it's back to watercolour I think.....I have several ideas for new paintings.

2 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

Looks wonderful!! I just watched a PBS movie last night called Life on the River No, about wolves in Idaho. Super good movie...you might enjoy it after just completing your wolves!!

Kathryn Hansen said...

oops...that was Life on the River of No Return!!!!