After drawing it out lightly I started on the face. I chose a sheet of Arches Hot Pressed paper for this. I thought it might be more suitable for a portrait but, to be honest I prefer paper with a decent texture. This was too smooth for my style of painting really, never mind. Above is where I got to after a couple of broken sessions of painting. A lot of distractions of late so it's difficult to calculate how long I actually spent painting.
Next I put in a bit of loose background before continuing with the hat and later the hair.
|Prince Of Darkness|
The last part is where I really struggled with the paper, on the hands. They've ended up a bit darker than I'd planned but overall I'm quite pleased with the end result. Looking at it now though, I wish I'd used a larger piece of paper. To the right I may have painted in a raven. Anyhow, this is 14 x 10 inches watercolour on Arches CP paper.