Saturday, 15 June 2013

Homeward Bound

Homeward Bound
This painting I completed this week, quite labour intensive this one. It measures about 15.5 x 22.5 inches, watercolour on Bockingford paper.
I began with a reference photograph from the Paint My Photo website, which was just the luggage on a trolley. With the magic of photoshop I shifted one of the trunks up on top of the others to make room for the big dog I wanted to add. I also added my little classical guitar to complete the composition.

 

I began with the background using several colours from my Daniel Smith selection, the ones which tend to granulate the most, working wet into wet before picking out the bricks and the archway as it dried. The rest was a matter of completing each object carefully and blending them into the composition with the use of shadows and textures.

The guitar was the hardest part. I've painted and drawn it several times before but still struggle to depict the strings and frets very well. However, I think the overall effect is very pleasing and I now have another painting which I hope suggests a story that the viewer can conjure up for himself and relate to.

No comments: