Saturday, 29 June 2013

Through the Mill

Poor old Murphy has been through the mill lately. It was last Saturday when he got up in the morning, very lethargic and slow. I didn't think too much of it at first as he is getting on a bit now. But I noticed his abdomen seemed a bit swollen which worried me. So I called the vet and got an emergency appointment as soon as they opened at 9 am. She immediately said she could feel a lump, by now he was really going down hill fast. Rather than muck about with scans and x-rays, she got him straight in to surgery. About a litre and a half of blood and fluid gushed out when she opened him up, there was a golf ball sized tumor on his spleen which had ruptured and he was bleeding to death. She removed his spleen and kept him in intensive care. She reckoned another hour or so and we would have lost him. Fortunately there was no obvious sign of the cancer spreading to the liver or elsewhere, we are awaiting the results of the biopsy.

Meanwhile Murphy is doing very well, now a week later he appears to be back to full strength although we are keeping him on very short walks on the lead. He looks a real state with all his beautiful fur shaved away from his under belly, so he's wearing my shirt to help keep the dirt out of the wound when he flops down.

We're very hopeful he'll make a full recovery quite quickly (and I can have my shirt back)

3 comments:

Sue Clinker said...

So pleased that Murphy is doing well and he'll soon be looking beautiful again :-)

Studio at the Farm said...

I am happy to read Murphy is recovering! That was too close a call. I wish you all well.

David Raison said...

We are all fans of Murphy, so get well soon old man!