Monday, 2 September 2013

Harvest Gold

Measuring about 14 x 10 inches, this little watercolour took me two and a half days to paint. I used my Daniel Smith paints on a piece of Arches CP paper. I don't usually like smooth paper but have a pack of this in my cupboard from a job lot I picked up last year so, as I wanted to try out my new fine sable brushes on some detail work, I decided to give it a go.
I found it surprisingly enjoyable to paint, mainly because I was no longer struggling along with my old worn out brushes I think. I've been looking at some very accomplished miniature watercolours lately and was inspired to see if I could get a similar level of detail but by having the two subjects, make it into a reasonable sized composition.
This is based on a couple of reference photographs of field mice taken by Dave Webb and shared to the Paint My Photo website.
Just need to frame it now, I'm going to use a worm-holed yew moulding with a gold sight edge..... should suit it well.

2 comments:

lia said...

This is beautiful! I love it! Very Well done!!!

Lia

Kathryn Hansen said...

i know rodents get a bad rap...but i love them! wonderful painting!!