Tuesday, 14 July 2015

The Scream

I came across an interesting reference photograph recently on the Paint My Photo website and decided to see if I could do something with it.











Having completed the painting 'Knots Landing' a few weeks ago and being very pleased with the result I thought I'd try to paint a 'companion' piece. This new one though, is a view from a little further away than previously, so the details are much smaller and more difficult to portray.

Below is my version 'The Scream', watercolour, approximately 13.5 x 21.5 inches on Arches Aquarelle paper.


After sketching out the nets etc.I added the gull and then the cat (from another PMP reference photo) Once that was all painted I decided on some background which I made up as I went along and it's ended up like a scene at Aldeburgh beach.

I've started using a gel pen nowadays for pre-drawing the nets and thinner ropes. It works quite well once it's dry and been washed over with paint, although there is a lot of painting to be done in layer upon layer to give depth and variation of tone.

I'm awaiting a new batch of framing materials before I put this one up for sale. In the meantime I think I'll revert to something less complicated to give my eyes a rest. Perhaps a pencil drawing......

No comments: